It' been a long few weeks, but somehow Tara and I have managed to complete our Christmas shopping (minus two gifts we know we are getting but haven't purchased yet) for everyone back home, and we just have a few things to get for each other for Christmas here. We've managed to find a way to pack up most of these gifts and it seems like we'll even have room to pack some clothes to come home - just kidding, there will be plenty of room for clothes.
While we are excited to be finished with the shopping, we are more excited to come home. It's been nearly a year since I've seen Pennsylvania, and I'm looking forward just to getting back home. It's difficult to get into the mood for Christmas as there are not many decorations here. We've done our best to decorate our little apartment, but it's not the same as walking outside to see the entire neighborhood decorated. I'm looking forward to the craziness of the U.S. and the holiday season there to help put me into that frame of mind. We've been listening to Christmas music and I just watched the staple "It's a Wonderful Life," but it's true, "There's no place like home for the holidays."
Even though the atmosphere hasn't quite reached its peak level here, it's definitely getting cold enough to feel like winter. I would wager that it might have reached the high 30s today with a biting wind. We were holding on to fall for so long, it's a real adjustment to get used to cold weather. I guess we're lucky though, it hasn't really snowed here (knock on wood) and Tara and I are getting close to having the priveledge of a car. For those not affluent with the military standards, grade levels E-6 and below are not afforded vehicles while in Korea, and since I'm an E-4, I've had to submit paperwork to have an exception to the policy.
Other than that, we are just trying to get through each day, one by one, and trying to keep each other sane with the busy schedules we are each facing. Even if we weren't able to come home, two weeks from now will be nice if for no other reason than to get a break from the grind.So, sorry there isn't much to report this week. We'll try to have more next week.
As always, I feel blessed so many individuals are interested in my activities here, and thank you for keeping up with me each week. I hope you are all enjoying the festivities leading up to the holidays. It is a lot of preparation, but it always seems to be worth it. We'll be home soon. Until next time, stay safe and God bless.
(A hard copy of this column can be obtained by contacting Standard Journal at 570-742-9671)
Tuesday, December 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment